What is the difference between Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

If you have an NDIS plan, you may have come across the terms SIL and SDA.

SIL stands for Supported Independent Living, while SDA stands for Specialist Disability Accommodation. While both SIL and SDA are different types of disability accommodation options, there are some big differences between the two.

What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

Supported Independent Living (SIL) provides you with support to help you live as independently as possible. If you have a disability, SIL can provide you with support if you are living alone or if you live with a group of people in a shared home. 

Nextt has several SIL vacancies across Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne and we can also help you find disability accommodation that meets your needs. We have a strong focus on matching people who choose to live together with similar interests, personalities, and goals.

SIL can provide you with an opportunity to enjoy independence, make new friends, and access the support you need. People who live in SIL receive daily support with tasks including personal care, such as showering and dressing, household tasks, including shopping, meal preparation, and cleaning, medical needs, behaviour and socials skills, clinical support, including administrating medication and medication management.

What is Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (or SDA) is available to people who need specialist housing solutions for high support needs or extreme functional impairment.

SDA funding is aimed to cover any disability-related housing expenses that are above the usual costs of housing and does not refer to person-to-person support services.

Funding through the NDIS is only available to a small proportion of participants with very high support needs who meet specific eligibility criteria.

So, what is the difference between SDA and SIL?

SDA is specially designed housing (or modified existing housing) for people with high intensity needs.

SIL on the other hand, refers to the onsite supports and daily living services that people to live as independently as possible.

If you need both specialist housing solutions and daily living support, SDA and SIL will be funded separately in your NDIS plan. This provides you with more choice, as you can live in accommodation suited to your needs and can access the SIL supports of your choice.

For more information on Nextt’s supported independent living options, click here. Or to view our SIL vacancies, click here.

Or please call us on 1300 369 568 for further information on Nextt’s range of disability services.